B & D Mills Market Center

History:
The mill was developed between 1902 and 1970 primarily as a feed
manufacturing plant.  In 1936 W. D. Deacon purchased the original building.  It
was converted from the original flour mill into a feed manufacturing facility and
called B&D Mills.  

In 1939 an east warehouse was constructed and the concrete grain elevators
were completed in 1950.  Completion of the tower in 1956 made the facility the
first electronic feed manufacturing plant in Texas and first business to deliver
bulk feed.  The feed store was also completed in 1956 and is currently leased by
Master Made Feed.

Bulk bins were added to aid distribution by rail in the late 1960s and early
1970s.  The mill ceased operation in 1979.  A fire in 1995 destroyed some of the
original buildings and damaged many of the tower’s panels.

The City of Grapevine welcomes the restoration and commercialization of the
property.  Plans include retail (24,400 SF) and office (14,900 SF) space,
restaurant and micro-brewery (12,500 SF), and a climbing school in the grain
elevators.  Once the renovations and improvements are complete, the old mill
will add charm to the historic district and bring attention to south Main Street,
including daily visitors to the Tarantula train station via steam excursions from
Fort Worth.

B&D Mills sits on 4.25 acres across from Grapevine’s Heritage Artisans Center
Complex, restored Depot and Historical Museum.  The property is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places as part of the Cotton Belt Railroad Industrial
Historic District.


<< Return to General Services










Historic Photo
(click thumbnail to view .PDF)










Artist rendering future
B&D Mills Market Center
(click thumbnail to view .PDF)










Example restored mills
Minneapolis and St. Paul
Minnesota, USA
(click thumbnail to view .PDF)
Wm. Deacon Co., Inc
Realtors
Historical Property Development